1

In Which I Discuss Midterms and Turkeypalooza

Posted by justme on 11:45 AM
Turkey and exams. 2 things that will forever be linked in my mind. *Sigh*

It's kind of funny when you think about it, since they symbolize entirely opposite things. Turkey is a symbol of food, family and relaxation, while midterms make you think of sleep deprivation, self-imposed isolation and stress. And yet, thanks to the school's timing, the two are intertwined. You've gotta wonder if they do it on purpose...

Anyways, I guess I should report on midterms first. They've been going on for the past 2 weeks, during which everyone has collectively lost it. After all, people are still adjusting to the fact that they're really only accountable to themselves. There's the dawning realization that while you can party 24/7, you will pay for it eventually. You'll also pay for not doing your homework and/or doing your reading - even if it's not for marks, it's pretty important because it helps you understand the material instead of just memorizing it. And you'd better think again if you believe that the profs are going to chase after you and/or make sure you're doing OK in class. It's sink or swim here, and a lot of people (myself included) are just barely treading water.

To counteract the midterm stress, I spent Thanksgiving weekend with the "New Brunswick crew"*. My visiting grandma invited me to stay with my aunt and uncle, which was awesome! Aside from the free (and delicious) food and the fact that I had my laundry done for me (thanks Grandma!), it was nice to just spend the weekend with everyone. We went to a birthday party Saturday night, where I met family I didn't even know I had. Those same family members then came over for dinner on Sunday - there were 20 of us in total. Monday was spent driving out to Perth to see my great-grandma's beautiful old farmhouse, then we were back in time for leftovers that evening. It was nice just being able to relax and not stress for a bit!

Speaking of stress, I'm sorry my posting's been so erratic. The past 2 months have been kinda crazy - I've been hit with one thing after another. Hopefully it'll all settle down after I take my last midterm tomorrow, and then I'll be able return to regularly scheduled programming.

Adios for now,
Moi

*For those of you playing along at home, the "New Brunswick crew" consists of the 16 or so people that spend every summer and/or Christmas at my grandparents' house in (you guessed it) New Brunswick.

1 Comments


I think you are such an awesome writer. You should think about this. Writing could become a second career.

Congrats. You've made it to midterms with a little help from your family and friends.

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 The View From Here All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.