0

In Which I (Kinda) Procrastinate Too Much

Posted by justme on 8:17 PM
Hey guys,

I'm stuck in one of those weird time warps again. This time, I'm mostly waiting for stuff that seems like it's light-years away... until it smacks me in the face. Take the Philosophy midterm I had today. I learned about it a week ago (rather harshly, as you might remember) and still managed to put the majority of the studying off until last night, when the lightbulb over my head finally clicked on and said "Hey! Midterm tomorrow! Get your [rear] into gear!" So I studied til 2 in the morning, slept, then woke up and studied for most of today (or, uh, this afternoon, since I didn't wake up til 11...).

Note that I wasn't intentionally procrastinating. My brain just didn't register the importance of studying for this exam until it was way too late. It's the same thing with a translation I have due next Friday: I've done some basic work on it, but I know I have another 6 hours or so of research and work to do before it's even somewhat presentable. So naturally, my brain keeps throwing distractions at me. My internal monologue goes something like this: "You know you have a big project to do, right? You should really get to work on th-oooh! You haven't played Bejeweled for like 3 hours! Just play a couple of games and then you can start the project for real. But maybe you should feed yourself or just get out of the room first..." and on and on until the translation gets, well, lost in translation. But I can bet you that this time next week, I'll be beating myself up for leaving the project to the last minute again.

Any ideas on how I can get out of that habit?

Me

P.S. I'm doing the 30 Hour Famine next week and am collecting donations. I'm collecting cash in person, but I've also set up a donation page (https://myfamine.worldvision.ca/famine/profile/17187). The site takes Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Just, y'know, in case you're interested.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 The View From Here All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.